Liddon Quad is named after Henry Parry Liddon, who was partly responsible for the choice of William Butterfield (1814-1900) as the architect of the College.
The most striking features in the quad are the Chapel which forms most of the northern edge and the large sunken area in the middle. Until recently it was thought that this was a deliberate feature designed by Butterfield, but research has revealed that the land was formerly a quarry and earth needed to build up the terraces and form the quad was bought in by Butterfield, costing up to a shilling a load.
At the opening of the College in 1870, only the buildings lining the eastern and western edge of the quad which provide student accommodation, were finished, with small temporary buildings providing the chapel and dining hall.
The Hall and Library were completed in 1878. The Hall occupies the western half of the great building on the south side of Liddon Quad, and the Library the eastern half. Access to both is at the first floor level, reached by a grand staircase lit by the great lantern window in the centre of the building.