Dr Stephen Payne FRCO
The Dean, Fellow and Tutor in Engineering Science
University Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering
Welcome to my college web page. My department web page is http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/pumma/, where you can find more information on my research group.
In college, I am one of the Tutorial Fellows in Engineering, alongside Professor Paul Taylor and Professor Richard Darton. Since October 2012, I have also been the college Dean, being responsible for discipline in the college.
I started life at Trinity, where I was an undergraduate and a graduate student, teaching at various colleges, before coming to Keble in 2004.
In addition to my work, I am a professionally-qualified organist, having been awarded the FRCO diploma in 2011.
My research interests are primarily in BioMedical Engineering, investigating blood flow and its control by the body. In particular, I am interested in blood flow in the brain and how experimental measurements and mathematical models can be used to infer information about how blood flow is controlled and particularly what happens when this goes wrong. I have thus become increasingly interested in stroke, particularly as a new stroke unit was opened in Oxford in 2011. I also have other interests in similar problems, such as cancer, respiration and foetal health. Some of my papers are shown below, but a full list can be found on my department web page.
- Orlowski, P., Chappell, M.A., Park, C.S., Grau, V. and Payne, S.J., 'Modelling of pH dynamics in brain cells after stroke' in Interface Focus, 1 (2011), 408-416
- Payne, S.J., Mohammad, J., Tisdall, M.M. and Tachtsidis, I., 'The effects of arterial blood gas levels on cerebral blood flow and oxygen transport' in Biomedical Optics Express, 2 (2011), 966-979
- Peng, T., O'Neill, D.P. and Payne, S.J., 'A two-equation coupled system for determination of liver tissue temperature during thermal ablation' in International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (2011), 2100-2109
- Park, C.S. and Payne, S.J., 'Nonlinear and viscous effects on wave propagation in an elastic axi-symmetric vessel' in Journal of Fluids and Structures, 27 (2011), 134-144
- O'Neill, D.P., Peng. T., Stiegler, P., Mayrhauser, U., Koestenbauer, S., Tscheliessnigg, K. and Payne, S.J., 'A three-state mathematical model of hyperthermic cell death' in Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 39 (2011), 570-579
- Webb, I.R., Arora, M., Roy, R.A., Payne, S.J. and Coussios, C.-C., 'Dynamics of gas bubbles in time-variant temperature fields' in Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 663 (2010), 209-232
- Payne, S.J., Peng, T. and O'Neill, D.P., 'Mathematical modelling of thermal ablation' in Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, 38 (2010), 21-30
- Peng, T., Rowley, A.B., Ainslie, P.N., Poulin, M.J. and Payne, S.J., 'Wavelet phase synchronization analysis of cerebral blood flow autoregulation' in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 57 (2010), 960-968
- Hapuarachchi, T., Park, C.S. and Payne, S.J., 'Quantification of the effects of vasomotion on mass transport to tissue from axisymmetric blood vessels' in Journal of Theoretical Biology, 264 (2010), 553-559
- Kazan, S.M., Chappell, M.A. and Payne, S.J., 'Modelling the effects of cardiac pulsations in arterial spin labeling' in Physics in Medicine and Biology, 55 (2010), 799-816
- AB. Rowley, S.J. Payne, I. Tachtsidis, M.J. Ebden, J.P. Whiteley, D.J. Gavaghan, L. Tarassenko, M. Smith, C.E. Elwell and D.T. Delpy, 'Synchronization between arterial blood pressure and cerebral oxyhaemoglobin concentration investigated by wavelet cross-correlation' in Physiological Measurement, 28 (2007), 161-173
- M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'The effect of cavity geometry on the nucleation of bubbles from cavities' in Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 121 (2007), 853-862
- S.J. Payne and A.J.W. Moxon, 'High frequency effects in the aspirating probe' in Journal of Turbomachinery, In Press (2007)
- M.A. Chappell, S. Uzel and S.J. Payne, 'Modelling the detachment and transport of bubbles from nucleation sites in small vessels' in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, In Press (2007)
- S. Uzel, M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'Modelling the cycles of growth and detachment of bubbles in carbonated beverages' in Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 110 (2006), 7579-7586
- M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'A physiological model of the interaction between tissue bubbles and the formation of blood-borne bubbles under decompression' in Physics in Medicine and Biology, 51 (2006), 2321-2328
- M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'A physiological model of gas pockets in crevices and their behaviour under compression' in Respiration Physiology and Neurobiology, 152 (2006), 100-114
- S.J. Payne and L. Tarassenko, 'Combined transfer function analysis and modelling of cerebral autoregulation' in Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 34 (2006), 847-858
- M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'A physiological model of the release of gas bubbles from crevices under decompression' in Respiration Physiology and Neurobiology, 153 (2006), 166-180
- S.J. Payne, 'A model of the interaction between autoregulation and neural activation in the brain' in Mathematical Biosciences, 204 (2006), 260-281
- S.J. Payne, 'A Bayesian approach to the estimation of model parameters from noisy data sets' in IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 12 (2005), 553 - 556
- M.A. Chappell and S.J. Payne, 'A method for the automated detection of venous gas bubbles in humans using Empirical Mode Decomposition' in Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 33 (2005), 1362 - 1372
- S.J. Payne and M.A. Chappell, 'Automated determination of bubble grades from Doppler ultrasound recordings' in Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine, 76 (2005), 771 - 777
- S.J. Payne, R.W. Ainsworth, R.J. Miller, R.W. Moss and N.W. Harvey, 'Unsteady loss in a high pressure turbine stage: Interaction effects' in International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 26 (2005), 695 - 708
- S.J. Payne, 'Analysis of the effects of gravity and wall thickness in a model of blood flow through axi-symmetric vessels' in Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 42 (2004), 799 - 806
- S.J. Payne, H.P. Arrol, S.V. Hunt and S.P. Young, 'Automated classification and analysis of the calcium response of single T lymphocytes using a Neural Network approach' in IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 16 (2004), 949 - 958
- S.J. Payne, R.W. Ainsworth, R.J. Miller, R.W. Moss and N.W. Harvey, 'Unsteady loss in a high pressure turbine stage' in International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 24 (2003), 698 - 708
- Tutorial Fellow in Engineering Science and University Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering (2006 - present)
- Research Fellow and Tutor in Engineering, Keble College, Oxford (2004 - 2005)
- Departmental Lecturer, Engineering Science (2003 - 2005)
- College Lecturer, University College, Oxford (2000 - 2004)
- Graduate, Trinity College, Oxford. Graduate Scholar (1997 - 2001)
- Undergraduate, Trinity College, Oxford. Scholar, Organ Scholar (1993 - 1997)