Dr Stephen Payne FRCO
Fellow and Tutor in Engineering Science
Associate Professor in Biomedical Engineering
Welcome to my college web page. My department web page is http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/pumma/, where you can find more information on my research group.
In college, I am one of the two Tutorial Fellows in Engineering, alongside Professor Paul Taylor. From 2012 to 2014, I was also the college Dean, being responsible for discipline in the college.
I started academic life at Trinity, where I was an undergraduate and a graduate student, teaching at various colleges, before coming to Keble in 2004.
In addition to my work, I am a professionally-qualified organist, having been awarded the FRCO diploma in 2011.
My research interests are primarily in BioMedical Engineering, investigating blood flow and its control by the body. In particular, I am interested in blood flow in the brain and how experimental measurements and mathematical models can be used to infer information about how blood flow is controlled and particularly what happens when this goes wrong. I have thus become increasingly interested in stroke, particularly as a new stroke unit was opened in Oxford in 2011. I also have other interests in similar problems, such as cancer, respiration and foetal health. Some of my papers are shown below, but a full list can be found on my department web page.
- Oster, J., Llinares, R. Payne, S.J., Tse, Z.T.H., Schmidt, E.J., and Clifford, G.D., 'Comparison of three artificial models of the magnetohydrodynamic effect of the electrocardiogram' in Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, in press (2014)
- Mehndiratta, A., Calamante, F., MacIntosh, B.J., Crane, D.E., Payne, S.J., and Chappell, M.A., 'Modelling the residue function in DSC-MRI simulations: analytical approximation to in vivo data' in Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, in press (2014)
- Mehndiratta, A., Calamante, F., MacIntosh, B.J., Crane, D.E., Payne, S.J., and Chappell, M.A., 'Modelling and correction of bolus dispersion effects in DSC-MRI' in Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, in press (2014)
- Tee, Y.K., Donahue, M.J., Harston, G.W.J., Payne, S.J., and Chappell, M.A., 'Quantification of Amide Proton Transfer effect pre- and post-Gadolinium contrast agent administration' in Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 40 (2014), 832-838
- Xu, L., Redman, C.W.G., Paune, S.J., and Georgieva, A., 'Feature selection using genetic algorithms for fetal heart rate analysis' in Physiological Measurement, 35 (2014), 1357-1371
- Orlowski, P., Chappell, M.A., Park, C.S., Grau, V. and Payne, S.J., 'Modelling of pH dynamics in brain cells after stroke' in Interface Focus, 1 (2011), 408-416
- Payne, S.J., Mohammad, J., Tisdall, M.M. and Tachtsidis, I., 'The effects of arterial blood gas levels on cerebral blood flow and oxygen transport' in Biomedical Optics Express, 2 (2011), 966-979
- Peng, T., O'Neill, D.P. and Payne, S.J., 'A two-equation coupled system for determination of liver tissue temperature during thermal ablation' in International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (2011), 2100-2109
- Park, C.S. and Payne, S.J., 'Nonlinear and viscous effects on wave propagation in an elastic axi-symmetric vessel' in Journal of Fluids and Structures, 27 (2011), 134-144
- O'Neill, D.P., Peng. T., Stiegler, P., Mayrhauser, U., Koestenbauer, S., Tscheliessnigg, K. and Payne, S.J., 'A three-state mathematical model of hyperthermic cell death' in Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 39 (2011), 570-579
- Georgieva, A., Payne, S.J., Moulden, M. and Redman, C.W.G., 'Computerized foetal heart rate analysis in labour: detection of intervals with un-assignable baseline' in Physiological Measurement, 32 (2011), 1549-60
- Webb, I.R., Arora, M., Roy, R.A., Payne, S.J. and Coussios, C.-C., 'Dynamics of gas bubbles in time-variant temperature fields' in Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 663 (2010), 209-232
- Payne, S.J., Peng, T. and O'Neill, D.P., 'Mathematical modelling of thermal ablation' in Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, 38 (2010), 21-30
- Peng, T., Rowley, A.B., Ainslie, P.N., Poulin, M.J. and Payne, S.J., 'Wavelet phase synchronization analysis of cerebral blood flow autoregulation' in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 57 (2010), 960-968
- Hapuarachchi, T., Park, C.S. and Payne, S.J., 'Quantification of the effects of vasomotion on mass transport to tissue from axisymmetric blood vessels' in Journal of Theoretical Biology, 264 (2010), 553-559
- Kazan, S.M., Chappell, M.A. and Payne, S.J., 'Modelling the effects of cardiac pulsations in arterial spin labeling' in Physics in Medicine and Biology, 55 (2010), 799-816
- Tutorial Fellow in Engineering Science and University Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering (2006 - present)
- Research Fellow and Tutor in Engineering, Keble College, Oxford (2004 - 2005)
- Departmental Lecturer, Engineering Science (2003 - 2005)
- College Lecturer, University College, Oxford (2000 - 2004)
- Graduate, Trinity College, Oxford. Graduate Scholar (1997 - 2001)
- Undergraduate, Trinity College, Oxford. Scholar, Organ Scholar (1993 - 1997)