You are here: Home Prospective Students Undergraduate Living in Keble Financial Matters

Financial Matters

Full and up-to-date information on fees, including College fees, can be found from the Fees and Funding pages of the University’s main website. Note that College fees are the same for all colleges. The University site also includes guidance on Government Support for fees and a guide to the cost of living at Oxford University. Summary information about the costs of accommodation and food at Keble in particular are shown on the right of this page.

Although you might think that the costs of studying at Oxford are much higher than elsewhere, this isn’t necessarily the case. In addition to the various sources of direct financial support (outlined below) there are various ways in which costs are kept to reasonable levels.  Keble offers good quality accommodation at affordable rents as well as meals in Hall (there are no separate Hall charges, you just pay for what you eat). You can live in the centre of the city, so there are no additional daily transport costs. Plus, there are extras such as travel and research grants from the Keble Association. Academic excellence is separately recognised through scholarships and examination prizes (listed here).

Keble Financial Support

The College will endeavour, within the resources available, to ensure that all Keble students will not have to worry about funding during their time at College. Alumni and friends of the College recognise that the costs of studying at University are increasing. Through their generous donations the College is able to offer financial support to those in need. This support includes the Oxford Bursaries which are part-funded by the University and the College, but also additional funding where there is genuine need and further funding to support those experiencing unforeseen hardship. Funds are awarded to students in all years of undergraduate study according to the means-testing process completed upon application.

Financial support is mainly directed at assisting with students’ on-course costs, but there are also some funds to help with expenses incurred as a result of course-  and career-related activities during the vacations.

Government Access to Learning Funds

The University is allocated some funds by the Government to assist students (Home fees only) with financial difficulties. For further information please go to the University's website here:

Oxford Bursaries

Jointly funded by the College and University, there is a comprehensive bursary programme in place to support students whose family income is no more than the threshold of £42,875 (2016-17). There is no separate application process for Oxford’s bursaries as these are based on the household income assessment carried out by your regional funding agency. Full details of the schemes are available here.

Keble Bursaries

As a complement to the funding available from Oxford University and the government, Keble is able to offer additional support to students who need it. Keble Bursaries are funded by former students and friends of Keble, via the Talbot Fund, to support the current and next generation of students at Keble. No separate application is required for these.

Keble College Student Support Fund

The College has some funds available to financially support all Junior Members, including non-home and EU students. These are designed to assist students whose circumstances have significantly changed since arriving at College, including for unforeseen and unforeseeable reasons. All applications are treated in confidence.  There are two ways of applying, depending on the nature of the need: 1) The Student Support Committee meets once a term to consider applications for general and longer-term support; 2) For emergency requests involving smaller amounts, applications can be made direct to the Welfare and Disability Officer.

Keble Association Travel and Research Grants

The Keble Association can also help students with the cost of undertaking research (including conference attendance), travel for humanitarian purposes and arts-related activities. Grants of up to £500 (or more for exceptional projects) are available by application once a term. The KA also has a programme for helping with the cost of internships for students in financial need.

University Hardship Fund

The specific remit of the University Hardship Fund is to provide for unforeseen financial circumstances experienced by students. This means that a student’s financial circumstances will need to have changed for the student to be eligible for assistance.  Any undergraduate or graduate students from any country are entitled to apply for assistance from the University Hardship Fund, as long as the criterion of unforeseen financial difficulty is met. There are deadlines for application once each term.

Vacation and Internship Bursaries

Keble recognises that students may want to either undertake unpaid internships or carry out further academic work, for example laboratory-based projects, during vacations. Such activities preclude paid employment. In addition to grants available from the Keble Association (above) there is some bursary support for students in Physics, Chemistry and medical sciences. Applications are these bursaries are judged in competition.

Overview of Costs

The costs for 2016/17 are:

Fees to the University

Home, Islands and European Union (Government funded) £9,000
Overseas, Visiting and Private £15,295 and £22,515*
(depending on course)

*Clinical medicine fees will be significantly higher for Overseas and Islands students.

Fees to the College

Home, Islands and European Union (Government funded) £0
Overseas, Visiting and Private funded £7,135


Accommodation in College (3 terms charge) from £3,349 to £4,465

Rooms are divided into 6 pricing bands depending on location, facilities and type.

Catering (based on 15/16 rates)

Breakfast Lunch Dinner

£4.37 (2 courses)
£5.04 (3 courses)
£6.73 (Sunday)
£6.05 (Sunday veg)

Accommodation outside the College

Some students in their third or final year are required to live in outside private accommodation. If you are not allocated College accommodation in your third year, the College operates a rent equalisation subsidy through the JCR.

Caution Money

A one off initial payment of £150 is required as an offset to the credit that is allowed on your battels.  This is repayable upon departure.