You are here: Home Current Students Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The answer to most questions is probably in the College Handbook, which is online elsewhere on this website.  It is the authoritative version but it is not always easy to find what you want.  The answers below are, in many cases, taken from the Handbook.

How do I contact people in College?

There's a list of useful contacts.

Where is the College Office and when is it open?

The College Office (Staircase P2) is open for enquiries on normal working days 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., although staff go to lunch between 12.30 and 1.15 pm. Alternatively you can email enquiries to

What do I do if I lose my Bod card?

If your card is lost go online at A replacement costs £15. If it has been stolen you’ll need to get the Police Crime Number and then go to the College Office, who can order a new one (free of charge).  To replace a worn-out card also go to the College Office, who will order a new one free of charge. You will have to hand the old one in. Replacements take up to three working days and you can pick them up from the College Office.

How do I print out an Enrolment Certificate for a Bank, Council Tax, etc.?

You can print out an enrolment certificate by visiting the Student Self Service site. Once you have logged in, you will have an option to print your enrolment certificate. Please make sure that all information is correct and then bring it to the College Office to be stamped with the official College stamp.

How do I report something broken or not working in my room?

All maintenance defects should be reported to the Lodge as soon as possible. If it is an emergency please telephone the Lodge on 72727, otherwise please fill in the online form.  The defect/problem will be rated according to urgency and will be dealt with as follows:  Emergency – Within 2 hours, repair if possible within 3 hours;  Urgent – Within 1 day, repair within 3 days;  Non-urgent - Within 3 days, repair within 5 days.

What are the dates of term?

Go here

Can I arrive late or leave early?

Yes, but only with prior permission. If you want to ‘come into residence’ late or to ‘go out of residence early’, you must apply to your Director of Studies, who will forward the application with your recommendations to the Warden.

How do I apply for vacation residence?

Application forms for undergraduates to remain in College accommodation during the vacations are issued in 4th Week and must be submitted by Wednesday of 6th Week. Applications to return early during the Long vacation will be considered at a date to be advertised during Trinity Term. College is not obliged to offer accommodation outside the dates of your accommodation licence agreement unless it is for academic purposes such as examinations; request may also be considered for lab work, extra tutorials, or ‘Blues’ sporting events (in 9th Week). However each application will be considered individually. All applications will be answered by 7th Week. Accommodation offered in vacation may not be your term time room.

Overseas students unable to return home during the vacation should make an appointment to see the Accommodation Manager in 4th Week (once they receive their vacation residence form) to discuss their situation. Although accommodation in College cannot be guaranteed every effort will be made to help with housing.

Publicly-funded non-finalists who are required to stay up outside normal term dates in order to sit University examinations or to undertake extra tutorial work on a tutor's recommendation (for example, to make up work missed through illness) shall, if living in College accommodation, not be charged rent for those additional days. Self-funded students will be charged for their accommodation at the normal accommodation rate. An undergraduate student may apply to stay up after the end of term to carry out coursework certified as essential by his or her tutor (for example, project or research work); these students and those staying to participate in a ‘Blues’ sporting event will be charged for their accommodation at the normal rate, but may be able to apply for assistance with these costs (through the College or Keble Association administered funds).

Where do I find the College Nurse?

The College Nurse holds drop-in surgeries during term in Somerville College weeks 1-8 at the following times:

Monday               10.00-12.30, 13.00-14.30

Tuesday              10.00-12.30, 13.00-14.30

Wednesday        13.00-16.00

Thursday             10.00-12.30, 13.00-14.30

Friday                   10.00-12.30, 13.00-14.30

Who is my College Advisor?

Each graduate has a college advisor.  If you are not sure who it is ask at the College Office. Remember that the Senior Tutor is also Tutor for Graduates and may be able to help you.

Can I change my College Advisor?

Yes, but please raise this with the Senior Tutor first.

Who is my Director of Studies?

Each undergraduate has a Director of Studies, normally one of the tutors in their subject.  They are the one responsible for organising your overall teaching and taking care of your subject’s administrative arrangements.  For example, they organise college examinations. In some subjects tutors rotate this role year by year and in others they share it.  You should be told at the start of the academic year who your DoS is, but if you’ve forgotten or are not sure ask the College Office.

Who is my Alternative Personal Tutor?

Your Alternative Personal Tutor is someone who you can talk to in confidence about any issues, academic or personal, that you don’t want to raise with your Director of Studies.  You will have been told who your APT is at the start of the year, but if you’ve forgotten ask at the College Office.

Can I change subjects?

It is possible in theory to change undergraduate degree subjects, but it is not encouraged and it does not happen frequently.  The procedure for doing so is in the college Handbook Part G – College and University Policies and Codes of Practice.

How do I find my examination number?

Go to the student gateway and sign in.

What do I do if I cannot attend college examinations?

Tell your Director of Studies right away and copy to the College Office. Absence for good medical reasons (supported by evidence) or for unavoidable commitments (cleared with your DoS well in advance) can be accepted.  If you are absent without explanation or authorisation, you will be required to take the examination(s) at a later sitting and you may also face academic discipline.

How do I get a confirmation of status letter?

Ask at the College Office.

Can I get a letter in support of a visa application?

Yes, ask at the College Office

How do I get a degree certificate?

Once your degree has been conferred at a degree ceremony you will receive a certificate. If yours is lost. Damaged or stolen you can order a replacement for £30 from

How do I get a transcript?

If you started your degree after Michaelmas 2007 then go online to  It costs £5. If you started before then, contact the College Office.

When can I go on the lawns?

The College lawns may only be used when the ‘Lawns Open Today’ sign is displayed on the Dean’s notice board (this will be posted by 10am each day), when it is not raining, when it is a permitted time and only on a permitted lawn. The permitted times are: (a) Sitting and Strolling: noon to dusk; (b) croquet: to dusk (Monday to Friday; noon to dusk (Saturday to Sunday). The permitted lawns are: (a) Pusey Quad, which may be used for croquet from Sunday 0th Week Trinity until Sunday 0th Week Michaelmas Term; no walking across, but sitting or lying on it is permitted; (b) Hayward Quad, which may be used for recreation. Permitted lawns may not be used at any other time of the year without the Dean’s permission. Newman Quad Lawn may not be used at any time without the Dean’s permission. The garden area and lawn of De Breyne Quad is out of bounds, and walking on the flower beds is not permitted.

Is it ok to play music in my room?

Information on music regulations and practice facilities is in the College Handbook (Part D College Accommodation and facilities D.21).  The main points are: a) you can play musical instruments in your room Monday to Friday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; b) audio-equipment may be used at any time if it is not audible outside the room in which it is used. It may not at any time be used out of doors within the College precincts.