You are here: Home Current Students Personal Support & Welfare Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities

Support for students with special educational needs or a disability

Around nine per cent of the students at Keble have a declared disability. Half, around thirty people, have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia. These levels are comparable with other colleges.  What this means is that colleges, including Keble, and departments are experienced at addressing the needs that arise for students with disabilities. The collegiate university, including Keble, will comply with relevant legislation, anticipate needs and make reasonable adjustments as required.

In line with the Common Framework on Support for Disabled Students approved by colleges in departments in 2014, the College has a strong commitment to promoting equality of opportunity for students and with a disability. The lead responsibility for undergraduate needs is taken by the College, and for graduates by the department or faculty, and the departmental Disability Lead and Coordinator. But all colleges and departments are committed to a collaborative approach.

Two college officers have particular responsibilities.  Ali Rogers, the Senior Tutor ( acts as Disability Lead and has strategic oversight or provision for students with disabilities.  The responsibilities of Disability Coordinator, which include the implementation of policies and coordination with departments, are undertaken by the Welfare & Disability Officer Trish Long (

Full information on support offered across the collegiate University is available on the website of the Disability Advisory Service.


You don’t have to disclose whether you have a disability. However, there are benefits to disclosing. If we are aware in advance of any particular difficulties, we can provide you appropriate support and make reasonable adjustments. Graduate applicants with a disability are therefore strongly advised to contact the University Disability Advisory Service, the Department Disability Coordinator and/or College Disability Coordinator in advance to discuss their needs.  All such matters are covered by the College’s code on Confidentiality and the Circulation of Welfare Information.

Support Available

There is some funding available to meet any additional costs arising from a disability. Home students, undergraduate or graduate, may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). These are provided by Local Authorities or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland. Some graduate funding bodies also provide an equivalent to DSA. The UK government is revising the terms of the DSA and the level of support may change at short notice. The University and the College also have limited funds available to assist students with specific study-related needs.  You should contact the Disability Advisory Service for up-to-date details.

Adjustments in Course and Examination Arrangements

The University is willing to make appropriate and reasonable adjustments to both teaching and assessment (examining) while on course. It is important to inform the University and the College in good time.

Students with a disability, including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia and dyspraxia, or medical condition who need to apply for special study or examination arrangements will need medical or other independent, specialist evidence to support their requests for those arrangements. Examinations arrangements are authorised by the University, not the College. Depending on individual needs, the kind of adjustments that may be possible include extending your period of study, providing readers/scribes or Braille texts, allowing a different mode of assessment, rescheduling of examinations, providing extra time in examinations and extensions to submission deadlines, sitting examinations in College and allowing you to use word processors in examinations.


Keble’s main site is a combination of 19th century and late 20th century buildings, to which many changes have been made to adapt them to the needs of students and staff with disabilities.  Some parts of the College are more accessible to individuals with specific mobility, visual or other needs than others. It is a good idea to attend an Open Day if you can or contact the Disability Coordinator.

The main entrances are accessible by wheelchair users. The Porters’ Lodge, the Library, some teaching rooms, Bar, JCR, MCR and Chapel are also accessible, either via flat access or via a removable ramp. Step-free access to the MCR is by ramp from Hayward Quad, which is operated by a device obtained from the Porters Lodge


Wheelchair access to the dining Hall is via a lift. Anyone wishing to use the lift on a regular basis should contact the Steward ( for training on its use. They will be given a key to activate the lift. Other, occasional users (for example for friends, guests, and family) should speak to the Lodge Porters or contact the Hall Stewards ( for assistance with operating the lift.

On the main site the College has a number of ground-floor study bedrooms plus one study-bedroom with purpose-built, en-suite facilities, suitable for a wheelchair user; a carer could be accommodated nearby, linked by a telephone. All study-bedrooms have data points to both the College and University networks. Car parking is available in College for disabled students.

Information on the Library and its support system for readers with disabilities can be found here.

Induction loops are installed in the Lodge, Hall, Theatre and Chapel, and can be readily installed in some teaching rooms.

The fire safety systems in student rooms can be readily adapted to meet the needs of individuals with impaired hearing or vision.