For Students For Staff

Student Wellbeing & Welfare

Medical Support

Students can access medical support from a range of sources during their time in Oxford.

In an emergency, you should call 999 for the emergency services. If you call the emergency services, please inform the Lodge (01865 272727) so that a porter can direct the emergency services to the correct location.

The nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department is at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Headington.

For out-of-hours or non-urgent health advice, you can call the NHS 111 service or use their online service here.

If you are in need of mental health support, you can call the NHS 111 service who can provide a mental health assessment and advice. You might also find it helpful to read the advice offered by the mental health charity Mind on their website here.

You can find further advice on health services in Oxford on the University website here.

Keeping us informed

If you are seriously unwell, it is important that someone in College is informed so we can support you in your recovery.

Students living in College and confined to their rooms by illness must arrange for the appropriate Lodge to be informed and, if appropriate, the College Nurse will then visit.

Students living in private accommodation should arrange for the Parks Road Lodge to be informed if they are confined to their rooms by illness; if a doctor has been called; or if they have been admitted to hospital.

College Nurse


Jenny Fitzgerald is Keble’s College Nurse.


Keble students can access medical support from the College Nurse during her surgery hours (term-time, Monday to Friday 10:00 – 15:00).


To contact the Nurse, please email


The Nurse’s Surgery is located in Somerville College on Woodstock Road, and Keble students are welcome to consult with her there.


Her room is Darbishire 16. Please ask the Somerville Lodge for directions to the Nurse’s room.


The Nurse can help with all kinds of physical and mental health issues, and is also available to offer a listening ear and pastoral support.

College Doctor

The College Doctor is the Observatory Medical Practice, located in the Jericho Health Centre on Walton Street.


All Keble students are encouraged to register with the College Doctor.


The College Doctor offers confidential NHS services. If necessary, and with student consent, the College Doctor can help their student patients liaise with the College and the University if health problems are affecting academic studies, or if adjustments need to be made due to health reasons. This includes providing University medical certificates and other supporting documentation if required by the University.
01865 429 993

First Aid

The College has a number of trained First Aid Responders and the College Lodge holds a First Aid box. If you are in College and have a minor injury that requires first aid, please go to the Lodge.


For ongoing support with minor injuries or illness, students are welcome to consult with the College Nurse.

Dental Care

In the case of a dental emergency, advice should first be sought from the College Nurse. Where appropriate, she will arrange an appointment with a dentist.


Treatment of emergencies will usually be under the NHS arrangements.


However, unless patients are exempt from charges on the grounds of age (under 19 and in full-time education), or in receipt of income related benefit (HC2 Certificate, Working Tax Credit), the appropriate NHS fee will be payable at the appointment.


Emergency dental treatment will be for the relief of pain and stabilisation of the condition. Any further treatment should be arranged with your regular dentist. If you do not have a regular dentist and wish to find one in Oxford, the emergency dentist will provide the telephone number to access details of local practices currently accepting NHS patients.

Oxfordshire Sexual Health Service

Oxfordshire Sexual Health Service (OSHS) provides free NHS sexual health screening (tests), treatment, contraception and advice. The Service also provides care and treatment for people living with HIV.


OSHS are committed to providing sexual health services to everybody – whatever their age, gender or sexuality. All services are confidential.


You can find out more about the services on offer, including the free STI self-test kits, on their website here.


Substance misuse recovery support

Substance misuse (for example, drugs and alcohol) can have serious psychological and physical effects.


In addition, the stress of managing an addiction can seriously damage your studies and your relationships.


If you’re unable to stop using alcohol and / or drugs, it’s important to access support for your recovery.


Services offering support for recovery from substance misuse include:-


The College Doctor

A GP is a good place to start. They can discuss your problems with you and get you into treatment. They may offer you treatment at the practice or refer you to your local recovery support service.


Talk to Frank

Frank is the government’s national drug advisory service. Their website offers useful information about drugs, along with help and advice about recovery support.


Turning Point

Turning Point is a national social enterprise organisation that offers free-of-charge access to recovery services for alcohol and drug misuse. You can find out more about their services on their website.