Monday 26 February 2024

Keble Treble

For what may be the first time in history, a single college has won the three major inter-collegiate football cup competitions. The Men’s 2s won against Queen’s last weekend, while the Women’s and Men’s teams won 4-1 against Summertown and 2-1 against St Edmund Hall on Sunday respectively. Congratulations to all players and to the Keble community for showing such great spirit and support.

Club president, Theo Lewis (2020 Engineering) writes:

“During the same period that Keble was opening its doors for the first time, colleges started to recognise that sporting clubs played a pivotal role in shaping the institution’s reputation and fostering a sense of community. The emergence of the second oldest competition in the history of football, the University’s intercollegiate cup competition, known colloquially as ‘Cuppers’, served as a catalyst, igniting fierce rivalries and providing colleges with bragging rights on the pitch.

The 90’s was a particularly triumphant period for the Keble Men’s first team, reaching three consecutive finals and winning two of them: 1992 Keble 0-0 Queens (Queens won on penalties), 1993 Keble 4-1 St Johns (League + Cuppers Champions) and 1994 Keble 1-0 Jesus.

In recent years, the amalgamation of Keble and Hertford colleges in 2013 to form ‘Hertble’ marked the start of a dominant campaign in the world of women’s football. Their inaugural cuppers victory in 2017 at Iffley Stadium marked a significant milestone, and was followed by successive years of strong runs through the competition.

In a testament to its dedication and talent, Keble Football Club reached three Cuppers finals this year. From the women’s team to the men’s second and first teams, Keble’s presence in the finals underscores its status as a formidable force within Oxford’s collegiate football scene. The results that follow are best described by the Captains.”

Men’s 2s Captain, William Morris (2022 Mathematics), writes:

“The Keble Men’s 2s kicked off on a Sunday afternoon in front of a packed Keble end. The match started off very scrappily with neither side willing to risk too much on such an important occasion. Barring our goalkeeper Alex Buckley making some crucial saves, there was not too much to write home about in the first 45. Following an incredibly motivating half-time team talk, the boys started off the second half strongly. Then, around the hour mark, the moment of magic we’d been waiting for arrived in the form of American exchange student Joe Todd who flicked the ball beyond the keeper and into the top corner. The next 30 minutes felt like hours as Keble defended miraculously, not allowing Queen’s any real chances. With 10 minutes to go, Mati Drzewiecki was brought down in the opposition box. However, the resultant penalty was sent flying wide of the goal, keeping the scoreline at 1-0, and late drama seemed inevitable. This, of course, did arrive in the form of a 90th minute goal but, luckily for us, it came in the form of a composed finish by Dylan De Zeeuw, making it 2-0 and the Keble Men’s 2s had won cuppers.”

Women’s Captain, Martina Mengoni (2022 E & M), writes:

“Five years after Hertble’s sour defeat to Catz in the final, we were finally back at Iffley with only Summertown standing between us and cuppers glory. While we were faced with a very strong team, they were no match for the passion and incredible supporters that fuelled Hertble for 90 minutes. After excellent goals from Megan King, Katie Glendening, Lili Wondwossen and myself (Martina Mengoni), the final score was 4-1, and we secured the second trophy in what soon became the historic Keble treble.

Men’s 1s Captain, Noah Fletcher (2022 E & M), writes:

“Following the women’s brilliant win earlier in the day, the men walked out to a packed Iffley Road for their final against Teddy Hall. Buoyed on by their fans, Teddy started quickly, and went 1-0 up after a header from a corner. Following this, Keble slowly grew into the game, and as the second half started, really began to turn the screw. A deflected strike from 25 yards out equalised around the hour mark. With 15 minutes to go former captain Ryan Smalley stepped up for a free kick 30 yards out, placing it in the top corner, sending the Keble stand into bedlam. From there, Keble shut up shop, and the rest is history, with 3 cuppers trophies coming back to College for the first time.”